Registration is closed for the Winship Scientific Symposium, a free virtual event taking place over two half days, November 16 and 17. The annual symposium seeks to highlight the outstanding research of Winship investigators, deepen our understanding of important topics, and provide opportunities to cultivate collaboration. This year's symposium theme, Addressing Disparities in Cancer Outcomes in Georgia, will bring together subject matter experts representing a range of disciplines and perspectives.
Selected speakers and topics include:
- Otis Brawley, MD, Cancer Control in the 21st Century
- Bradley Carthon, MD, PhD, Patient Participation in Clinical Research: Lessons from Prostate and Genitourinary Cancer Trials
- Colleen McBride, PhD, Winship Community Outreach and Engagement
- Lauren McCullough, PhD, MPH, Promoting Breast Cancer Health Equity in Metro Atlanta
- Charles Moore, MD, Making a Difference in Addressing Disparities
- Bassel Nazha, MD, MPH, Immunotherapy Outcomes in Racial and Ethnic Minority Cancer Patients
- Ajay Nooka, MD, MPH, FACP, and Lawrence Boise, PhD, Biology and Clinical Aspects of Multiple Myeloma
- Rebecca Pentz, PhD, Optimizing Cancer Outcomes with Patient-Centered Communication
- Joellen Schildkraut, PhD, MPH, Expanding Our Understanding of Ovarian Cancer Disparities
- Conor Steuer, MD, Disparities in Lung Cancer Outcomes
- Kevin Ward, PhD, MPH, Population Data on Cancer Outcome Disparities in Georgia
(BREAKOUT REGISTRATION CLOSED) Through interactive breakout sessions, participants will discuss ways to address cancer disparities and develop actionable strategies:
- Understanding Biological Aspects of Cancer Disparities (Session Leader: Wei Zhou, PhD)
- Improving Cancer Treatment Outcomes (Session Leader: Taofeek Owonikoko, MD, PhD, MSCR)
- Studying Disparities in Cancer Prevention, Access to Treatment, and Survivorship Outcomes (Session Leader: Mylin Torres, MD)
A special career development panel for trainees and students will take place on Nov. 17 from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. as a pre-session to Day 2 of the symposium. Separate registration is required.. REGISTRATION FOR THIS PANEL WILL CLOSE AT NOON ON MONDAY NOVEMBER 16th.
On Twitter? Use hashtag #WinshipSciSym2020!